Being a Sydney-sider, I’ve lived in small apartments and tiny homes for as long as I can remember. Location, amenities, style and price point has always trumped the dream of a giant home in my list of life priorities (and I feel like most of Sydney can relate with me here!)
What I’ve learnt through my years of compact cribs, is that you really need to maximise the space you have with clever space-saving and storage tricks, find the right layout for your space and choose just a couple of wow-factor pieces. Just because space is limited, it doesn’t mean you can’t give yourself a slice of that dream home feeling.
I’ve had a very fun few weeks as I’ve teamed up with the guys at Supa Centa Moore Park to style my dream apartment space, full to the brim of nifty storage + space-saving ideas. The style I went for is a sexy mix of luxe and comfy casual, with a simple colour palette, deep wood tones and beautiful textures of rattan, leather and timber.
...let’s pause to appreciate these Barca armchairs from Contents ID for a moment? SWOON!
Have a tiny home on your hands too? Here’s my top 5 tips you need to know:
1. Think about dual-purpose furniture as much as possible. Coffee tables that can convert into a desk (or dining table - perfect for when extra dinner guests are coming over!) are GENIUS and I wish I knew about these option sooner. I’ve used the Rubi adjustable table from Bo Concept here. If you can pick armchairs that are the right height to double as a desk / dining chairs too, you’re onto a winner.
2. Sofas with hidden storage or a pull out bed are a must-have, especially if you don’t have room for a guest bed. This one is the Maddox from Freedom, I’ve also seen some fab ottomans that turn into single beds if you want to double up the sleepover possibilities.
3. I have quite a thing for backless shelving units like this Jonas unit from Icon by Design. (That walnut colour though.. Mmm…) They’re perfect for doubling as room dividers and look stunning styled with your fave books, magazines and decorative pieces.
Stick some stylish boxes or lidded bowls within the shelves to store your less pretty bits and pieces out of sight.
4. Consider the shape of your room and don’t stick to conforming to regular layouts. If your room is long and skinny, pull your sofa away from a walls and display a shelving unit behind it. Instant dreamy warehouse loft vibes but also very handy added storage.
5. Using console tables or storage-less cabinets for a media unit has no place here. Maximise those storage opportunities at all times! Loving the beautiful deep walnut colour of this Bardon unit from Oz Design Furniture
There’s also things you can consider when styling your apartment, to give the illusion of more space and a touch of luxury too, like
Large mirrors to bounce more light + give the illusion of added space
Oversized artwork, always a luxurious statement
Don’t overcrowd every wall, empty space is your friend
Large pendants or floor lamps, for mood lighting but also to add height to the space
Plush rugs underfoot
And add some luxurious materials like touches of leather, marble, crystal and raw timber
Last but never least, greenery, you can’t forget the greenery! The bigger the better.
It was so much fun pulling all of these pieces together with the guys at Supa Centa Moore Park.
With multiple shoots and client projects on per month, I’d actually dread to think just how many times I’ve visited this homeware wonderland! Whether I’m shooting a high end look for a magazine, or styling an affordable nursery space for a young family, there is always loads available here, and I don’t have to be driving around Sydney to find it all!
Hope these tips have helped inspire a few space-saving ideas, and help to give you that dream home feeling of your own too.
FURNITURE: Maddox sofabed from Freedom, Bardon Media Unit from Oz Design Furniture, Rubi Adjustable Coffee Table in Black and Bordeaux Console Table in White from Bo Concept, Jonas Shelving Unit 2x5 in Walnut from Icon By Design, Barca Armchairs from Contents ID
ACCESSORIES: Sumo Berber Rug from Coppola Home, Bose Soundbar and TCL TV 50% from JB Hifi, Living Dish in Grey and Glass Facet Object from Bo Concept, Bather Art from Oz Design Furniture, Corona Touch Lamp in Brass, Exeter Table Lamp and Beat Floor Lamp in Black from Light Style. Black leather cushion, Black Plant Stand and Faux Plant from Shack, Silver Crab, White Bone Box, Figure Study 2 Artwork and Coffee Leather Magazine Rack from Contents ID, Coral Sculpture and Zoe Black Cushion from My House, Two tone sand timber, Slip glaze vase, Trinket box in Small and Large from Bed Bath n Table, Ficus Tree, Rattan Basket, Whiskey Bottle and Ice Cup from Freedom Furniture